One of my professional goal for this year is to manage to teach grammar in a real life context.
I have started by asking the children to read book titles and categorize them. We also looked at punctuation. Next steps? Any idea, good book, blog, website?
Our new Unit of Inquiry started today.
1. Brainstorm on what is History? Kids were struggling trying to understand the difference between story and History.
2. We come up with an easy definition that explain what History is.
3. I asked the children to name a specific event in History they would like to investigate. They decided on bombarding during the war. This is a topic they are, with some respect, kind of familiar with, because grandparents discussed it with them.
4. I asked them where they could find information. They, obviously, began with internet, tv, videos, books and then newspaper, to move then into original newspapers from the period of the events, or even letters and diary. I have then split them into three groups, told them to copy the 15 ideas they come up with and sort them.
5. They were very good at it, sorting the into Primary and Secondary Sources, of course without knowing that they were doing it.
Tomorrow I will ask them to justify their sorting and luckly we will be discussing Primary vs. Secondary Sources.
After a day on the internet, these are the web I found and I am looking forward to use them with my classes
I hope you will find them useful!
I was just serving on the internet( yes, I love doing that when my children are out with daddy!!) and I found this new (to me) tool that seems very interesting.
I am still trying to figure out how it works and how to use it in the classroom. Any ideas?
Do you know any other tool I could use? Thank you.
A lot is going on at the moment. Grade 5/6 girls decided to sell second-hand books and toys to collect money to help the school to be more eco-friendly. Not sure what they are going to do with that, I have asked them on their blog, but still no answer.
With them I have also started today to create a blog. We are currently using Studywiz at school and I am willing to see if they are more into reflecting if they can do it online. I bit like I am doing, to be honest. Anyway, they all started their blogs today. My aim is to use their reflections as a tool to assess them and to have them to write in Italian. They hardly do it.
Grade 3/4 had their assessment presentation ready. Jessica was there. Hope she will tell you how it went.
That’s it for now.